Thursday, 11 April 2013

What is it like to have 5 siblings on the Autism Spectrum ? Autism Awareness ramblings 2013.

 To do my part in raising awareness I thought it was time to show you some of the wonderful things I have enjoyed with the children this week. The collage is from my facebook page and I will leave it up for the month. My youngest collects frogs and loves the multi scensory bright lights and play areas which we fist discovered at the very first Autism Show. It will be in it's third year. I would suggest you pop along it is a fabulous day out and you will see some great speakers and come away feeling like you have been armed with a newness and fresh perspective on life and if you do take your child any age there are quiet rooms and plenty of places to discover .
 This was taken many years ago when I was raising awareness just for a week for the NAS not sure where the other 6 days went but just wanted to share . I really do feel having a safe zone and having the right information and peer support helps every step of the way. I used to host regular coffee mornings at my home basically so we could share stories , sometimes grieve, sometimes celebrate but most importantly share. I had a bookcase full of books on the subject that I had collected and I would led them out. I finally donated these this year as I am about to move into a much smaller home . But I am glad I was able to help with my free lending library for so long. They have gone to a small health center who did not have many books on the subject so will continue to be used to help others.
 Having only 1 daughter who does not have a diagnosis and is not on the spectrum she often felt left out. Fortunately when her eldest brother who is obcessed with competition entries won a day with Girls Aloud all he wanted was the certificate saying he was a winner. So she benefitted from a very special day .But How do you compensate when they do feel like all your attention is being paid to helping the ones who seem to need it most. For me , before blogging I wrote articles for submission to magazines and newspapers and this enabled me to help others but also became a form of therapy a release. Much like my mummy ramblings really.
 Sadly when we did articles on just the two of us they were never picked up , The Daily mail almost published an article on what it was like to have a divided family at Christmas and she cherished this photo as she had her make up done and hair professionally even though it was done in our kitchen she enjoyed the pampering and the quasi interview format and a little bit of mummy time. The photographer was superb and even emailed her some head shots suggesting she should look into modelling. But it made me realised that the key to our close bond was our openness to possibilities.

 She is a popular girl at college and is quite tiny in size , fortunately she does have a best friend who is as close to a neurotypical brother who lives just down the road. It is lovely to see how she has coped . I am sure she has had to find her own ways of dealing with just how rigid some of the early years were with set routines. Oddball meal plans , but now thanks to her maturity she is able to understand more than ever why she is different from her siblings but that she is certainly no less special to me.  She is growing into a neurotypical teenager and I am loving the challenge.   I decided as I have spent a lot of time on activities with the others we would indulge her in preparation for her prom this year . After a quick shot of her thanks to her friend. I booked her a pre prom trial to get some ideas of what she might like on her big day below is a collage but naturally she does not want to give the final look away as she wants a big Wow on the night . I am sure when her faux bro prom date comes to collect her he will smile:-)

https://www.facebook.com/SurreyBrideToBe for more details.
 I think  enjoyed our time alone and of course I felt she looked like my little princess .For us it is this quality time together that we will remember for years to come not the presents or clothes . It is memories you build that remain in your hearts.

With that in mind I leave you with a little review on last night's bedtime story.

My views/reviews  are my own and not those of Barefoot books :

Princess Cinnamon Stitch is adorable she simply does not want to fit in. She's told what is expected of her but would much rather be doing her own thing . Can she show her mum and dad  that there's more to her life than being pretty and good? My 8 year old loved it and repeated the Yippee! Perfect for use as a social story for someone on the ASD or simply for your Tomboys . Personally as a mum I felt the rhyming made it easy for her to listen  to and the  instructions for making your own kite make it a great hands on project for some shared time with mummy.

It is beautifully written By: Juliet Clare Bell; Brightly illustrated By: Laura-Kate Chapman
And comes with a super CD version narrated By: Imelda Staunton -  Find out more here


http://store.barefootbooks.com/uk/the-kite-princess-4069.html




Lastly  a shot taken last year with two of my Aspie friends and my youngest daughter .
http://www.autismshow.co.uk for more details.

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 08, 2013

    I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.


    Stop by my website ... coconut oil for hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 09, 2013

    Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it
    can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know
    this is completely off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!

    My website ... dry scalp treatments

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 10, 2013

    Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    Here is my homepage :: diarrhea remedies

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 10, 2013

    I am not positive the place you are getting your info, however great topic.
    I needs to spend a while finding out much more or working out more.

    Thank you for excellent info I used to be looking for this info
    for my mission.

    Feel free to surf to my web site - http://Www.Zakamned.ru/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=103500

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 10, 2013

    Excellent post however , I was wondering if you could write
    a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thanks!

    My web site ... tattoo removal cream reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 11, 2013

    Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Many thanks

    Here is my web blog ... permanent hair straightening

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 11, 2013

    Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very
    good success. If you know of any please share. Cheers!


    Also visit my web-site dry Scalp Treatments

    ReplyDelete